Sunday, April 05, 2020

50 Day 8932 Mile Trip, Part 3

     On May 13 we headed north across beautiful Ashley National Forest and then down to the southern end of Flaming Gorge National Recreation Area at Dutch John, UT. We ate a picnic lunch at the Flaming Gorge Dam, a stunningly beautiful location!

Link to my Flaming Gorge video

     Driving north on US 191 toward Green River/Rock Springs WY, there are several dirt roads that head west toward the Gorge Recreation Area. We explored a couple, getting down to the waters edge. A very few people were there to play. The major part of US 191 is at high elevation and we experienced snow flurries and below freezing temperatures. Remember we had left home where it was over 100℉. I was reveling in the cool air!

     The local forecast was foreboding. We decided to get a motel in Rock Springs to ride out the storm. It did rain the next day. It would have been a nasty tent camp. In Rock Springs we toured the local museum which was surprisingly interesting. Located in a historic building - part of the old firehouse and City Hall I believe. This region is focused on harnessing fossil fuels; coal was the main product in the past. I bought a couple nice brownish & gold University of Wyoming Cowboys t-shirts at the local Walmart. They’ve become my favorite tees from the trip. I also picked up a couple new Wrangler blue jeans at a more reasonable price than I could buy them in Arizona. I had packed my jeans somewhere in my car and couldn’t find them, so thinking I’d forgot them, I bought two more. Later I found them but these two pair have become my favorites too. Though I am not much of a shopper, I was thrilled with the Rock Springs retail scene!

     We stayed two nights at the moderately priced ($65/night) Super 8 hotel. Free wi-fi, free continental breakfast, and a nice indoor pool. I was happy!


     May 15 we left for Grand Teton National Park, heading northwest on US 191 - along a heavily used Pronghorn Antelope Migration route. We made a game out of spotting the migrants. “Look! There’s a cantaloupe! There’s more!” Somehow it was more fun to call them cantaloupes and we said it so much, that I find it hard to say antelope now! So even though the first part of that highway was open high desert, the distant view of the mountains and the animal spotting made it so enjoyable. Nearing Pinedale, the scenery became seriously mountain- beautiful. In Jackson (Jackson Hole), the town is very crowded and unfortunately I was not able to get a parking spot near the park so we could get our picture by the arches made of antlers which is another famous roadside attraction.


     Once in Grand Teton we found the perfect campsite in the Jenny Lake (tent only) campground. And after I got the tent up, a deer meandered behind our site. We could walk to Jenny Lake from our site and we did. It was astoundingly beautiful, especially since the winter snows still reached to the shore in many places. This is not the same lake that the vast rush of summer tourists see. I felt very blessed to get these blue sky, snow white craggy mountain peak photos in the clean clear air.



     Our campsite was a handicapped designated site. I had never heard of such a thing before. The water spigot was there and it was a short walk to the restroom. It was perfect for us.

     We went to see Colter Bay on Jackson Lake and other scenic spots in Grand Teton. The weather was fine but the overnight forecast was for frost. Sure enough, the morning of May 16 was in the upper 20℉. I fired up a new little portable Mr. Heater “Buddy” which uses propane. It did actually make it fairly comfortable to get out of the sleeping bag and get dressed. Our tent is 10 feet square and is tall enough to stand inside. I brought a folding chair so at least one of us could sit if we got stuck inside during inclement weather. The chair ended up being our clothes horse more than anything. We slept on 2 inch foam cushions on the ground in 3 season sleeping bags. I have often slept in freezing temps in my bag and been very comfortable. The tent was completely acceptable accommodation throughout the trip.



     After dark at Jenny Lake we had a campfire from scrounged wood. And in the morning our campground neighbors who were Gen Y age, or Millennials, brought us more wood to burn. We were so grateful for their kindness.

     Sadly I decided not to stay another night in the tent due to the forecast for rain and snow. If I had more experience with my tent, or an expedition tent, I would have stuck it out, but not in a Coleman family tent, with a disabled husband. Most people would have thought it impossible that I even took him tent camping or on this very long trip. I don’t understand why only able bodied people should go on adventures.

     Since I knew about the scenic, famous homesteads in the park, I had to visit “Mormon Row” and get the classic shots of the barn with the Tetons in the background. The morning light was perfect and the shining mountains were glorious. 9:20 AM May 17th and we had now travelled 1320 miles.

     So on we went on to Yellowstone!

No comments: