Sunday, April 12, 2020

50 Day 8932 Mile Trip, Part 6

     The first day in Rochester was for rest, unpacking, relaxing, finding those lost jeans and enjoying the Lake Ontario beach.

     May 23 found us being chauffeured to Highland Park in the city. The official “Lilac Festival” time had passed but most of the lilacs were still lovely and the rhododendrons and azaleas were perfect in their pastel purples, pinks, and reds.




Lilacs

     May 24 was sunny but still a bit brisk by the lake. My sister and brother-in-law took us out along Lake Road to Beechwood State Park. This undeveloped park is a former Girl Scout camp that both my sister and I had camped in (separately) decades ago. It was hard to remember the facility but I did recall the part wooden, part canvas tents I had stayed in and she remembered the hall where she had bunked. We found them, and all the man-made structures, are in decay. The shoreline of the lake is littered with fallen trees. The “beach” was gone.


     I picked up a souvenir cobblestone. Western NY is famous for the hundreds of unique cobblestone structures built here in the mid-1800’s. We went to the Maxwell Creek picnic area for lunch and nearly froze off our keisters due to that lake breeze. Lots of orchards along the lake were in bloom. It was a pretty drive, for sure.


     Over the next few days, we got to visit with family and just enjoy the beautiful Rochester spring weather. Over Memorial Day weekend we went down to Nichols NY to visit husband’s sister and to Athens PA to see husband’s brother. He finally got to go fishing! Actually it was his brother casting, but he reeled in a nice bullhead in the pond at the Sayre Sportsmen’s Club. (He had been moaning the whole trip about not bringing his fishing gear along.) I learned about Trap and Skeet at the range at the Club. Trap looks like it is a lot of fun! I very much enjoyed seeing my siblings-in-law. He has the best siblings!

     Back in NY I pitched our tent in my brother’s back yard near Bristol (or Honeoye NY.) Despite one rather fierce thunderstorm, the tent held up and no leaks. My brother has a home on a hillside that was previously just a summer retreat. Although it has been remodeled, it can get crowded with 3 people. Fortunately my tent was very comfy.
We spent many an hour on his deck watching out for birds, or deer. On May 31 we had the neighbor’s 3 domestic turkeys come for a visit. I made an amusing video of their antics in the yard. That evening we went to Naples NY for dinner.


Panoramic of Canandaigua lake

     The hills and lake views in the Finger Lakes region are stunning.

     June 1st my brother chauffeured us out to Seneca Falls, NY. We shopped at Sauders Store, a Mennonite country store that sells fresh produce, bulk food goods, Pennsylvania German meats and cheeses, etc. I got real Maple Syrup, granola, and of course postcards. I now had dozens and dozens of postcards accumulated along the trip and more to come! I loved this store! We went into the town and I got to do an abbreviated tour of the Women's Rights National Historical Park.  


 
Me in front of Suffragette Flag

     The first Women's Rights Convention was held there in 1848. The men waited in the car! Weather was drizzle, rain, & thunderstorms. Rain overnight but tent was dry and fine.

     Then we shuffled on back to Rochester, actually to the beach in Greece NY. I took the scenic route out of Honeoye because I trusted my memory of verbal instructions. Toured around Ontario County. You really can’t drive between my brother and sister’s homes without getting detoured somewhere. It is an hour drive and there is no straight route. All the roads curve in Western NY. And there are about 45 different optional routes, most of which my family has taken me on so I was thoroughly confused. But eventually I got over the river and through the woods to whichever house I intended to arrive at!


     June 3rd we enjoy a special luncheon hosted by my niece in North Chili NY. I love this part of the county. It is where Roberts Wesleyan College is located, just south of quaint Spencerport on the canal. Somewhat further out is the College at Brockport, SUNY. Or as it was known in the fall of 1975 when I went there as a freshman, SUNY Brockport, which is also a canal town.


     The next day my sister and her husband took us on a tour of Braddock Bay Park west of them. 



     It is a small bay which is being managed for its outstanding bird watching opportunities and there is also a marina. I didn’t see any raptors but apparently it is a hotbed for sightings.

No comments: