Sunday, February 19, 2006

Butterfly Words

A small amount of snow fell on the mountain. There had been a wildfire of a few acres in the 8000 foot elevation and it appears the snow may have aided in the extinguishing of the threat. We can use all the moisture we can get.

While sitting in church this morning I gazed at the snow capped mountain as the visiting preacher droned on. This man has been on the road for 31 years, preaching all across the country. I don't know how he is received elsewhere, or even how he was received here, but I thought he was b-o-r-i-n-g. He spoke so slowly. I guess I need someone who is throwing a lot of words out there for me to process. I read fast, so maybe I hear fast too. In addition he was using a version of the Bible that uses antiquated language. I don't know about you but I have never asked someone how art thee? Oh well, maybe I am just a female dog today.

I watched a few "ends" of curling from the Olympics. Curling looks like a combination of billiards, chess, and golf - on ice. I think it is more fun to play than to watch. The USA is out of medal contention so there won't be any curling fanaticsim sweeping the country.

I am planting some veggies in my garden already. It looks like an early spring this year. I am going to take advantage of it. It has been a few years since I have planted much of a garden. I would miss the planting dates, get things in late and they'd fry in the June sun. So I determined not to do that this year. Time will tell.

I watched the movie "Hidalgo" last night. Being an Arab owner, I was a little disappointed that the Arabian horses were not shown to their advantage. But then they supposedly were out-raced by this American Mustang. The story is a fantasy that was touted as true for awhile until historians stood up and said "Not". Mustangs have been known to do well in endurance races. But Arabians dominate the distance races all over the world. Quarter Horses for a fast 1/4 mile, Thoroughbreds for a mile or 1 1/8th mile or jumping, and Arabians for the long haul.

Tomorrow is Presidents Day. I have to fix the holder so I can fly my American flag. I've always thought the red, white, and blue were colors that clash a bit. But that sums up our country pretty good too. Always ready for a good disagreement, but we'll come to your aid if your car conks out on you. I've always admired the Canadian flag. The left and right fields of red, symbolize the west and east of their far-flung nation, and in the center is the Maple Leaf, uniting them and representing the people's respect for their raw land. Maples are beautiful and useful trees. I planted some when I lived in the east, and they are stately looking specimens today. Occam's husband used to tap Maples for syrup in his younger days. Nothing can compare to real maple syrup on pancakes or waffles.

As you can see, I am really rambling today. Flinging words out there, hoping that some alight somewhere.

No comments: