Monday, January 16, 2006

The King's Legacy

Today is Martin Luther King Day. This is definitely an excellent holiday because it memorializes a man at the head of the civil rights struggle in this country. We all need civil rights. The famous quote: "I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character," is one I can say, as a citizen of the USA, irregardless of the color of my skin. I believe all colors are beautiful. I want to live among colors, among various age groups and incomes, among people of different spiritual values. My father lived for awhile in an assisted living apartment. I often visited and met many of the residents. They were almost invariably white, over age 70, upper middle class, and Christian. The most interesting resident was a Jewish man who was a bridge fanatic. I don't know anything about bridge. But he was a great conversationalist. My father wasn't too fond of him but then Dad was the product of a segregated generation. These things too shall pass away.

Happy Birthday Mr. King.

No comments: